In the studio, we were joined by Linda Smith of Sherman Hill Cheese and Goat Farm. Linda shared stories about her cheese making process, raising goats, New York State Farms and Artisan Cheese Makers Guild, and how life has been for her family on the farm. Please check the Fall 2010 Kaatskill Life and read more about Sherman Hill Farmstead and friends at Harpersfield Cheese, in an article by Terry Hannum, “Smile and Say Cheese” about the revival of cheese making.
Sherman Hill Farmstead specializes in making goat milk cheeses: chevre, feta, basket cheese, caerphilly, camembert and new this year is blue cheese. I also sell broker goats milk soap made with our farm’s milk.
Sherman Hill farm is a 90-acre family farm. primarily raising Alpine dairy goats to produce milk for cheeses. Linda and Morgan also offer meat goats in the spring and breeding stock when available. Linda and Morgan committed to raising healthy, happy animals on grain and pasture and making quality goats milk cheeses. Our cheeses are available at other farmers’ markets and local stores.
Tianna visited the Sherman Hill Farmstead and recorded a fantastic interview with Linda’s daughter Morgan George.
1. Veg makes the front page of NYtimes “Told to Eat It’s Vegetables, Americans Order Fries” , ByKim Severson
2. Recap of the Wellness Hour program.
3. A ‘vintage’ year for New York’s apple crop” by Jeffrey Blackwell
1. Gluten-Free: What, why and how. Thursday, September 30, 2010 – 6:00pm – 7:00pm Lucky Dog Farm Store Ever wonder what “gluten-free” is all about? Eliminating wheat from the diet can result in great health benefits. But what about pizza? Try some gluten-free pizza we will have prepared from “Bob’s Red Mill” GF pizza crust mix. Lucky Dog Farm Store, Route 10, Hamden, NY.
Event Time:09:00 AM – 12:00 PM ESTLocation:Catskill Forest Association
43469 State Highway 28
Arkville, NY 12406
3. 10th Annual Catskills Local Government Day October 1, 2010, Catskill Mountain Foundation, Hunter http://www.catskillmtn.org this years agenda includes, For the Good of the Community: Local and Regional Foundations and How They Work, such as Gerry Foundation, Community Foundation for South Central NY and the Catskill Mountian Foundation. Other presenters include Bill Eklund, from eklund farms, Cheryl Lins from the Delaware Phoenix Distillery.
pre-farmhour fun…. the host and creator of wfmu’s THE DUSTY SHOW, stopped by the station to say hello. please listen to his show, you will not be disappointed!